Thursday, October 28, 2010

Winnie the Pooh

Following on from yesterday's flowers, another of my favourite English things is Winnie-the-Pooh and the books by A A Milne. I still have my childhood copy of When We Were Very Young AND I can still remember the words to quite a few of the poems. From here I moved on to Winnie-the-Pooh, Now We Are Six and the House at Pooh Corner. I have always had a soft spot for Pooh. I remember around 1970 queueing for hours to see an exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum with the original toys that the stories were based around. Here they are


Earlier this Fall, I was in Collingwood for Wordstock - a great new literary festival. Fab opening evening and then a day of workshops, book signings and celebrities. I had a photo with one of them.


He was a little modern for my taste but at least not a full blown Disney Winne the Pooh. [Note no hyphens. Disney dispensed with them. Why?] The friend who took this wondered if my husband new about another 'love' in my life. I told her Winnie-the-Pooh and I go back years. We're old friends. Why I've even played poohsticks with my kids. Come on now - be sensible!

Anyway, was in the local Post Office this afternoon and saw a new stamp collection on sale. You're there already aren't you? Yup it was - Winnie-the-Pooh and here are the stamps. Not Disney's Pooh pictures, the original E H Shepard illustrations. I just love them.


I mentioned a few posts ago that we were a hankie collecting family - I have some belonging to my Grandmother, so Ivy will have some that belonged to her Great Great Grandmother! We are also a stamp collecting family. I have some old letters and postcards that were sent back during WW2, my Mum collected special ones for me, I did the same for the kids and it would seem I am about to start collecting again for my Grandkids thanks to my trip today. Oh well, what goes round, comes round.

Promise will get back to weddings and Canada next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment