Thursday, October 14, 2010

Good luck tradition - Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Something Old
is meant to represent the link with the bride's own family and the past. It’s also symbolic of continuity. Many brides choose a piece of family jewellery.

Something New
represents good luck and success. Often it’s the wedding dress that’s new. It symbolises the couple creating a new union.

Something Borrowed
is to represent to the bride that friends and family will be there for her on the special day and in the future when help is needed. Strictly speaking the item borrowed should come from a happily married friend or family member so her happiness will rub off. It could be a hankie, a bracelet, even a ribbon worked into your bouquet or tied around the stem. But remember, it MUST be given back.

Something Blue
symbolises faithfulness, purity and loyalty. Often the blue item is a garter, a hankie or blue jewellery. [Don’t forget to move your engagement ring to your right hand for the ceremony and then put it back on top of your wedding ring after you are married.]

Old, borrowed and blue is quite easy in our family as we have hanky collectors for several generations now. The favourite, favourite has to be a Liberty handkerchief. And that reminds me, my Granddaughter will need one for Christmas – this one, I think.


The latest addition to the collection has been designed for twobirdsbridesmaid by Rob Ryan. I will be writing more about two birds soon and I’ve mentioned Rob Ryan before - I just think his work is fab so how could I not buy it?


 
I may even lend it to my Brides – borrowed and blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment