Thursday, October 06, 2011

Likes and dislikes - Colours and flowers

Once upon a time ...there was a person who didn't like yellow - me. I never really understood what it was about the colour but I didn't like it, nor orange. Blue was really MY colour. Never had yellow flowers in my house, or in my garden for that matter, plenty of blue. And this dislike has carried on until about three years ago when I began to realise that there was something about reds turning to russets turning to oranges turning to yellows - the colours of Autumn. One of my favourite pastimes has always been kicking the leaves. Is that not why they fall off the trees? Digressing, that's one of the things that gets to me about Canada in the Fall. There are all these trees and as the leaves fall, they are collected up! Almost instantly!! They just don't seem to get the concept of kicking the leaves. I don't do my garden, much to the neighbour's annoyance - she really thinks I leave them to blow on to her lawn so she has to sweep them up. Of course, I don't - I leave them so I can kick through them when I go to the shed or take the washing out or have fun with the boys if they're around. See what I mean?





Even Daddy joined in!!!

And then there're flowers. Again never been a yellow or orange flower person [Most certainly DON'T do marigolds] or a chrysanthemum person until ... those lime green spikey ones started appearing and that led me to others. Now come Fall, the front deck pots are full of "Mums" all in shades of - you guessed it - yellow, orange, russet red. Real autumn colours and I love them! Never been a fan of dahlias [too many earwigs] but have seen them lately in bridal party and bride's bouquets and gradually I am being converted. Part of it, I guess, is the fact that they are different. Not seen too many in wedding flowers across here. I'm all for finding something different and that's getting harder and harder. So many of the emails that I get and blogs that I see just recycle the same old, same old. Today, the Martha Stewart Weddings email that came through actually had some different bouquets in Autumn colours ... and yes, there is a dahlia bouquet, and yes, I do like it - you might also note some yellows in there too!

No comments:

Post a Comment